Saturday, January 14, 2012

Our Lady and the Relic

The Veil of the Blessed Virgin Mary kept at Chartres
Many of my friends know me as the 'relic guy.' Since 2009, I have acquired numerous relics, including a piece of the True Cross of Jesus Christ, first class relics of St. Teresa of Avila, St. John of the Cross, St. Rita of Cascia, St. Lucy, St. Clare of Assisi, St. Anne, St. John the Apostle, St. Catherine of Siena, and St. Maria Goretti...just to name a few. :) However, there was one relic I always longed for; a relic of the Veil of the Blessed Virgin Mary. Her veil you ask? Why yes. The Catholic Church is believed to have possession of her veil, the largest portion being kept in Chartres Cathedral in Chartres, France. As you know, Mary was assumed into heaven body and soul, so no relics of her body exist. There are relics of Mary's clothing including her veil, her tunic, and her belt. The church also claims to have locks of Mary's hair cut at her dormition by the Apostles. As you know, I have always been close with Mary and as I grew older and learned the importance of relics, I began to long for a relic of Mary, a relic that could help me grow closer to her. A year ago, I would have told you getting a relic was impossible. Today, it has been made possible. Mary helped a relic come to me in a very special way.
Back in October of last year, I went to bed one night. Shortly after, I had a dream. In the dream, everything was bright and cheerful. Suddenly, the Blessed Virgin Mary was standing in front of me smiling sweetly. She was dressed in white robes and everything shone like the sun. She asked me what I desired. I responded that I wished to have a relic of her veil so that I could grow closer to her and help others come to her. She smiled again and asked me to put my hand out. She placed her hand in mine and pressed something into the palm of my hand. It was cold and heavy. She stepped back and I looked. A small golden reliquary lay in my hand. The reliquary contained a piece of her veil. My heart swelled. I looked at her and asked how this could happen because it seemed so impossible. She responded, "through one of me loved sons, you will receive what you have longed for. With it, you will win many souls over to God and inspire the hearts of many. Tell everyone who venerates it to love their Mother and to trust me. Tell everyone who sees it that I am always here for them waiting. I love each of my children on earth." Mary smiled at me, placed her hands on my head, and blessed me. Then the dream was over. I wondered for days what she had meant when she said 'through one of my loved sons, you will receive what you have longed for." Who could it be? Well, I have a close friend who is in seminary studying to become a diocesan priest. He surprised me one day and said he could get a relic of Mary's veil for me and would send it as soon as he could get it. A short while later, he visited me and brought the relic with him. I could not believe it! I surprisingly didn't cry when I first held it. My heart felt like it never had before. I felt Mary's presence with me. I was happy to see that the little reliquary contained not only the relic of Mary's veil, but also a relic of St. Joseph's cloak! The seals on the back are intact and the reliquary is from Rome. It is a bit older but you can clearly see two threads from Mary's veil and a small piece of St. Joseph's cloak, dark with age. Later, when I was alone, I did cry, but they were tears of joy and happiness. I have taken it with me countless places and each person who has venerated it has felt a presence when it is near. Each person who has seen it has told me they feel a great sense of peace and closeness with God. I guess Mary was right. :) I know this story seems ridiculous, but it is completely true. If you look below you will even see a photo of the reliquary. Isn't it beautiful? Our Blessed Mother, much like God, works in mysterious ways!

My Relics of Mary's Veil (Ex velo B.M.V.) and St. Joseph's Cloak (Ex pallio S. Josephi)

2 comments:

  1. Even though I read this before - it was just as wonderful to read it again. I think this is wonderful Josh and I cry sometimes just looking at a picture or statue of Mary - also when I pray deeply I cry.

    Thank you Josh. A friend told me she thought your blog was wonderful!! Keep going.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Josh! Could you help me with these relics? Because I need these in our parish ritual display for Year of Faith, but I do not know how to process! Please help me!

    ReplyDelete